2007年5月22日火曜日

Approaches for teaching vocabulary

Today we learned about two approaches for teaching vocabulary:
the Teach and Learn Approach and the Learning through Input Approach.
You can see Power Point Presentation of the approaches here. I would
like to tell you about the strengths and weaknesses of each approach as
well as the approach I would use as a Junior High School teacher.

★First, I will talk about the strengths and weaknesses of The Teach and Learn Approach.
I learned this method is way of Present and Learn. I think that it is easy for children to
study, because the way is repetitions of seeing and remembering .
But, this method is very tedious .It is not practical, because there are only conections
of Vocabulary - meaning. So, this approaches needs a lot of repetition in exchange
for simple study work.

★Second, I will talk about the strengths and weakness of the Learning through Input Approach.
Comparing the Teaching and Learn Approaches,this method is practical on many points that
choosing Natural Vocabulary Groups centered around atheme, Use the vocabulary in a way
that is meaningful and comprehensible and Design activities so students can test their
knowledge.
While, maybe students can't understand contents of studying on the first of lesson. In addition,
the teacher has to pay attention many things that he uses easy words and simple grammar,uses
pictures or chart effectively, or makes sure of understanding of students.
In other words, this way,students can input a few repetitions with practicality,but it need many
time or planned structures of teaching.

Lastly as a junior high school English teacher I would use a hybrid of both two approaches.
I think that it should have adopt the Learning through Input Approach first time,after that, use
Present and Learn way. Then students can more comprehend new things.

4 件のコメント:

wakame さんのコメント...

Hello Satmin! This is Wakame. I read your opinion, and I have the same opinion about weaknesses of the present and learn. I also think that students can be tired of repeating the activity. If teachers use this, they need to
have some variations. Thank you for your nice opinion! See You!

匿名 さんのコメント...

I read your blog.I also have the same thinking.Thank you for your nice opinion.

nakki さんのコメント...

Hi!I'm Nakki.I agree with your idea about weakness of Teaching through Input Approach.It is very effective for students to learn practical English words but this method may take more time to
plan the class.See you!

JH さんのコメント...

I agree with you that the teaching through input method is more difficult for the teacher to do. However, if the teaching through input method is done effectively, children will not forget the words.
JH